Monday, January 14, 2019

Call me strange if you will

But I am a 40 fanboy.

I look at my 380, which I carry when I want a smaller package. It works much better than you may have been led to believe. Proven fact, just make sure your shot is in place.

I look at my 9's, same generic warning. Good round, good effectiveness, aim carefully and you win.

I look at my 45's, and I know it will do its job. Get it in, and it's done. Most of the time, check my body and that's what you'll find.

BUT! Just look at the 40. I'm sitting here, looking at a stack of mags loaded with these. And they're so pretty. Bigger than the 9, faster than the 45, something about it just sings to me.

Would I like a full honk 10mm? Uhm, yeah. BUT! Again, is this 40 the ultimate compromise? More rounds, same mag, more horsepower than either of the others? 9/45? I tend to think so.

I was a Combat Arms Technician for a priority of my military career. I learned to read the numbers, understand them for the sake of my family/property.

Something about this round sings to me for a PDW.

What you carry/trust is up to you. 380 will do, and do quite well, 9mm is pretty sweet, all things considered. 45 is well trusted the world over. Why is the 40 ridiculed? I researched, and it does it all, and it does it well.

4 comments:

Brian E. said...

In my experience, the .40’s specs do indeed look good, but the several pistols in that caliber that I’ve had the occasion to shoot left me feeling that the punishment for better ballistics is a harsher recoil profile. In essence, they were downright unpleasant to shoot. In my world, that means I’d be less likely to practice with it. I have a number of 9’s and .45’s that are a pleasure to shoot, so I look forward to range time with them, so i’m naturally a better shot with them. I’d argue that offsets the ballistic differences. Of course, YMMV.

cmblake6 said...

I don't mind the recoil. Maybe I'm strange, as I said. My favorite 45 is my RIA CCO. My daughter in law was prepping for her CCW class, so we took out pistols she could use for it. My Sig Nightmare she loved, shot it a lot. Several others she didn't mind. My Rock? 2 rounds and she handed it back. YMMV, but recoil/harshness of grip are a personal interpretation.

sykes.1 said...

You might wish to consider these,

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycYxb-zNwc

The gist is that if deterrence is what you want, anything from a .22 lr up works. Gun shot wounds from any caliber are so painful that very few attackers will continue their assault once shot. Of course, if you shoot someone with a .357 or .40 their likely dead. But if you just want them to go away, a .22 lr is just fine.

cmblake6 said...

Indeed, sykes.1, but I don't want them to just "go away". I want them to leave me the frak alone! NOW!